Matthew is raising awareness about gas safety and offering Hendon constituents the opportunity to receive a free carbon monoxide alarm, supplied by British Gas.
This time of year increases the risk of carbon monoxide leaks as cold weather persists and people run boilers and heating systems to capacity. A carbon monoxide leak can make an individual feel seriously ill and can kill quickly without warning.
A leak can come from many home appliances such as oil and gas boilers, gas fireplaces and gas cookers and as it is a gas which has no taste, colour or smell, it is hard to detect. Regular servicing of appliances by a qualified gas engineer reduces the risk of leaks but a monitor can provide a warning if one does occur. Everyone with with a gas appliance should install a Carbon Monoxide alarm.
Matthew is urging constituents to look out for the following signs that could indicate that a gas appliance is not working correctly and Carbon Monoxide may be present in the house:
- Floppy yellow or orange flame on your gas hob, rather than a crisp blue flame;
- Dark, sooty staining on or around gas appliances;
- Pilot lights that frequently blow out;
- Increased condensation inside windows.
To help those who might find it difficult to purchase a Carbon Monoxide detector, Matthew has agreed with British Gas to make 10 available to constituents in the Hendon constituency.
To apply for one of the 10 Carbon Monoxide detectors, please send your name and address either
1) by post to Matthew Offord MP, Churchill House, 120 Bunns Road, Mill Hill, NW7 2AS; or
2) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org;
no later than Friday 11th February 2022 at 5pm.
All those making an application will have their details entered into a draw and the detectore awarded on the basis of the first 10 names and details drawn.
Terms and conditions
- All applications must be from constituents registered to vote in the Parliamentary constituency of Hendon.
- The carbon monoxide detectors have an expiry date of December 2026, which means they will continue to detect carbon monoxide gas for 5 years. It is important that carbon monoxide detectors are regularly checked to make sure they are still working properly.
- As British Gas are providing these detectors free of charge, the normal British Gas warranty does not apply to these units.
- Only one carbon monoxide detector per household.
- Matthew Offord and any employee cannot be held responsible for the functioning of the Carbon Monoxide detector.
To find out more → Carbon monoxide & gas safety - British Gas